Thursday, July 21, 2011

Red Sky @ Morning

Coming home from Colorado City last night I looked, as I always do, at the sunset.  It was a beautiful red-orange sun descending in a sea of red sky.  It was awesome!  My mothers "saying" came to mind.
My mother had so many sayings; one for every occassion. Many of them she "took" from the Bible. Mostly "took" out of context to suite her needs. "Spare the rod and spoil the child," she took to mean "Spare the rod, but use the switch."  "Honor your father and mother," needs no explanation and was used often.
 But there were some sayings whose origins were never found. Such as: "If there's a ring around the moon it will rain within three days."
 One of my favorites was, "Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailor take warning," which she said meant that if the sky was red at night the wind would not blow and storms would come, but if the sky was red in the morning a sailor knew to stay off the seas because it would be windy or there would be storms. When asked where this saying came from she said, "From the Bible." 
A few weeks ago I  researched that scripture, because I figured it was just one of those she pulled out of the air.  I was wrong. It can be found in Matthew 16:1-4.  And from my interpretation, the saying is correct. Jesus is talking to the Pharisees and Sadducees and He tells them, (NKJ Version) ..."Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times."
Even though He was talking to the Pharisees and Sadducees, He could say the same things to us today.  We know so much and yet so little. 
What I do know is, without a doubt, we have some of the most beautiful sunsets in the world right here in West Texas!  Thank you Lord for being such an awesome artist and sharing such beauty with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment