Sunday, September 11, 2011

Giving Help Is Easy, Accepting It is The Hard Part

A close friend of mine had major surgery recently.  She's doing well now, a week and a half  later.  I had the priveledge of assisting her during the days that followed her surgery; cooking, cleaning a little, lifting what she couldn't.  It brought to mind the birth of my last child. Probably because she and another friend did the same things for me.

 I developed toxemia in the last trimester of my pregnancy and was put to bed.  At the time, I was the mother of two wonderful little girls, ages ten and eight.   I was also the secretary, office manager, and gofer for our business, as well as volunteer children's director for our church.

Some of the office work I could do from bed, but my husband had to pick up a lot slack there.  My friends drove me to doctors appointments, had wheel chair races with me in Wal Mart, cooked for me, cleaned for me, set up the babies room, and even refinished furniture.  I love those ladies!

You may be thinking, "That sounds wonderful!  Wish someone would do that for me!"  But truthfully, it was hard to allow someone to do those things for me.  It was a very humbling experience.  I am always eager to help someone else, but accepting help is a different story.  

I John 4:11 says, "Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another." (KJV)  Galatians 5:13 says, "... by love, serve one another." (KJV)  Therefore, if we love one another, we will serve one another, and we will allow ourselves to be served when we are in need.  We should not deny our  brothers and sisters the blessings of helping us.  We are, after all, one body in Christ, and a body is made up of many parts working together.

 I am thankful that I could serve in this manner. And I am blessed to have a friend who allowed me to receive these blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment