Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Intimacy With God

I'm reading a book by John Eldredge called "Walking With God."  Tisha loaned it to me, and it is a wonderful book.  He quoted Psalm 139: 1-18: O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. ...You hem me in--behind and before; you have laid you hand upon me....Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?...All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. ...When I awake, I am still with you. 

I pondered this scripture for a moment, and then God put a thought into my mind.  My daughter, Tisha, is so sweet to make me feel a part of her life and her kid's lives.  She sends me text such as, "Hayden is tired of going to school already (after 2 days in school). He says he's ready to go back to the beach!"  I love those! I know what's going on with them. I feel as if I'm part of their lives even when I'm not present.  If I don't get texts for a few days, I feel sad.  She was really busy for a while and the text slowed. I mourned!  I felt as if I was on the outside looking in, but the blinds were pulled.  God nudged me and said, "That is how I feel when you do not listen to me. That is how I feel when you do not share all the intimate details of your life with me."

Can you imagine being responsible for creating beings for the purpose of an intimate relationship with them, only to have them pull the blinds and only raise them when they cannot handle the "big" problems in their lives?  For them to think that you only want to be a part of certain aspects of their lives? 

Those little quick texts mean so much to me!  I want to be intimate with my family, and I want to be intimate with God.  I want to share every moment with Him; every little detail.  And I want to hear from him every day; all through the day!  I want to walk with Him and talk to Him at every opportunity, and they are endless!

Eldredge said, "...to know him...not just "know about" like you know about the ozone layer or Ulysses S Grant." (pg. 12)
That is how I want to know my God!

No comments:

Post a Comment